Thursday, April 5, 2007

Restauranteuring

I talked to Paul Wasicka and Truman Bradley (Paul's agent) early this afternoon. Paul is certainly interested in the project, mostly from an investing standpoint. They have plenty of concerns too, of course - concerns that we have already recognized and are troubleshooting right now. We talked also about the restaurant part of it. Paul worked at an Italian restaurant, often as manager, for a few years so he knows a lot about that. We'll talk more when he's in town. In the meantime, I may go down to that restaurant (Via Toscana in Louisville) and talk to the owner, Rob (Paul's brother-in-law).

I have a lot of reservations about the restaurant part of it. I really don't know if that's the direction we should take - it's a lot more ambitious. Several different people have said that we can always move on to a restaurant/pub after establishing the brewery part of it. If it was totally up to me, we'd just get a warehouse and make beer, for now. But I might change my mind, and it's everyone's decision. Pretty much everything should be everyone's decision as much as possible, I think.

I talked to Truman's dad Jeff afterwards and he was hyping the idea of serving barbecue. I'm intrigued by this. He said it's really easy to make and serve. Something for us to think about. A minimal but excellent menu might be something we could pull off without too much difficulty.

I'm going to Breckenridge on Saturday for the beer festival, then probably heading to Steamboat on Sunday to check it out and talk with Nick and Chase.

- Tom

2 comments:

Kwicky said...

Look what I found!

By the way, this is Tru.

GOOD LUCK!

acehighwine said...

I guess it depends on whether you think the added income from tourism dollars would make it worthwhile going that way.

Personally, I think it's better to just get the warehouse and brewery going, BUT perhaps pick a site that lends itself to expansion in future should tourism be an avenue you want to take.

It sounds like you want to open a brewery because you like beer - what that in mind, you probably want to give yourself every chance to make the best possible beer first before attempting anything else.

And a neat little (semi) boutique brewery here in Perth Western Australia called Little Creatures: http://www.littlecreatures.com.au Great pale ale and they import the hops themselves and crush 'em here! They do a great Pale Ale!
Funnily enough enough, I'm going to a magazine wine tasting to a restaurant two doors down from there in about six hours time!

cheers
max

PS sorry haven't got questions to you mate, an interview is still very much on my to do list!